Hypothyroidism is a disorder wherein the thyroid gland is not able to secrete sufficient quantities of the hormones that are required for the body to function properly. Insufficient hormonal secretions tend to disrupt almost all the chemical reactions inside the body.
If hypothyroidism is not treated, it could cause problems like obesity, infertility, heart disorders and joint problems, besides worsening any already existing health conditions.
• Pituitary Disease: The pituitary gland is responsible for the thyroid functioning properly. When this gland does not function appropriately, a person could either suffer from an underactive or overactive thyroid gland.
• Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: This condition is amongst the most common causes of hypothyroidism. This disorder causes the immune system to see the thyroid gland as a foreign, harmful object. This causes the immune system to attack thyroid gland tissues, thereby leading to inflammation of the thyroid as well as a considerable decrease in the production of thyroid hormones.
• Iodine Deficiency: A deficiency of iodine within the body can lead to hypothyroidism. A sufficient amount of iodine is extremely important for normal thyroid activity. A lack of iodine can make it difficult for the thyroid glands to produce the required hormones.
• Damaged Thyroid Gland: A damaged thyroid gland is one more cause of hypothyroidism. A patient taking treatment for hyperthyroidism over a period of time is at risk of developing a damaged thyroid gland. Long-term usage of anti-thyroid medicine could suppress the thyroid glands to a point where it may cause hypothyroidism.
• Cancer Treatment: Cancer treatment requires radiation therapy to eradicate cancer cells. Nevertheless, in case the target site of treatment is in the neck region, then it may interfere with the thyroid gland, thereby leading to hypothyroidism.
The initial signs of hypothyroidism are:
• Loss of appetite
• Muscle and joint pain
• Inability to withstand cold
• Irregular menstrual cycle
• Reasonable increase in weight
Advanced Hypothyroidism symptoms are:
• Hair loss
• Weak memory
• Change in the voice
• Thinning eyebrows
• Puffiness of the face
• Lack of concentration
• Lack of sensation in arms and legs
If hypothyroidism is not provided timely treatment, it could worsen and might cause an enlargement of the thyroid gland, also known as goiter. It may even lead to more serious complications, such as myxedema.
Once it is diagnosed, the doctor will prescribe suitable medicine to treat this condition. Medications like Levothroid are amongst the drugs most commonly prescribed to help in overcoming a thyroid hormone deficiency. Levothroid is a synthetic form of the thyroid hormone that is manufactured and released by the thyroid gland.
Levothroid has been approved to treat hypothyroidism and goiter growths. However, it is important that you utilize Generic Levothroid only when it has been prescribed by the healthcare professional.
These were a few causes, symptoms and treatments for hypothyroidism. Though this problem is extremely common amongst individuals, there are appropriate treatments, including treatment with Levothroid, available to help one overcome this condition.